Latin America's Premier Airline Copa Airlines
Copa Airlines is Panama's flag carrier and has been connecting the Central American country with other destinations in the continent since 1947. In its early years, the airline only operated domestic flights but began to fly internationally in the late 1960s with flights to Costa Rica, Jamaica and Colombia. Flights to the Canada began in the 1980s, and the following decade was a time of expansion for Copa, with multiple destinations being added throughout Latin America and the Caribbean.
Copa Airlines is a Star Alliance member and has a fleet of approximately 100 Boeing planes, which fly to and from over 70 destinations in 26 countries.
Flying with Copa Airlines
The seating plan is split into Economy/Main Cabin and Business. Economy class passengers can request an upgrade to Business online. Business class offers priority check-in, boarding and baggage handling as well as more legroom and access to VIP lounges.
- Economy promo: non-refundable, limited changes at an extra fee
- Economy extra: refundable under certain conditions, limited changes at an extra fee
- Economy flex: fully refundable, limited changes at an extra fee
- Business Promo: non-refundable and changes at an extra fee, but with access to Business Class benefits
- Business Flex: fully refundable, changes free of charge and access to Business Class benefits
Frequent flyers can join Copa's loyalty programme called ConnectMiles. Membership is available in 4 categories and entitles travellers to free upgrades, additional baggage allowances and access to dedicated airport desks. Details about this Copa's loyalty programme are available.
Web check-in is available on the Copa website from 36 hours to 1 hour prior to departure although not all passengers are eligible for online check in. Mobile check-in requires using an app and receiving a mobile boarding pass or getting a printed boarding card from the Web Check-In Counter at the airport. Airport check in is recommended for passengers who require special assistance.
Baggage allowances differ depending the origin and destination airport. As a general rule of thumb, baggage weight and size limits with Copa are as follows:
- Checked luggage: hold baggage dimensions cannot exceed 157 linear/combined centimetres (62 inches) not including the bag's wheels. Maximum weight for any hold baggage item is 32 kg (70 lbs) for Business class and 23 kg (50 lbs) for Main Cabin passengers. In some routes passengers are allowed 2 pieces of checked luggage at no extra cost.
- Carry-on luggage: one carry-on per person with a maximum weight of 10 kg (22 lbs) and total linear dimensions not larger than 115 cm (46 inches) in addition to a small personal item. Business class ticket holders who are members of a frequent-flyer programme with Copa or any Star Alliance airline can take 2 carry-on bags on board.
- View Copa Airlines baggage policy.