Biman Bangladesh Airlines
Bangladesh's National Flag Carrier
Biman Bangladesh Airlines became the flag carrier of this Asian country following its foundation in 1972, shortly after Bangladesh became an independent nation. Originally, Biman only flew domestically, although international flights to neighbouring Indian cities began towards the end of 1972. The airline's first long-haul destination was London, and towards the late 1980s, Biman was a key provider of air transportation to Bangladeshi migrants working abroad, mainly in South East Asia and countries in the Gulf and the Middle East.
Biman remained a state-owned airline until 2007, when it became a public company. Currently, the Bangladeshi airline flies to more than 20 domestic and international destinations using a fleet of 20 Boeing aircraft.
Travelers from the USA can get international airfares on Biman Bangladesh Airlines from New York (JFK) to Dhaka.
Flying with Biman Bangladesh Airlines
Biman offers seats in two cabin classes: Business and Economy. However, fares are classified into four types:
- Super Saver, which has a limited free baggage allowance and charges a high fee for changes and refunds.
- Economy Saver, which has a limited free baggage allowance and charges a moderate fee for changes and refunds.
- Economy Flexible, which has a limited free baggage allowance and charges a very low fee for changes and refunds.
- Business Saver, which has a higher free baggage allowance and charges a moderate fee for changes and refunds.
- Business Flexible, which has a higher free baggage allowance and charges a very low fee for changes and refunds.
Biman Bangladesh Airlines has a frequent flyer program known as Biman Loyalty Club. Membership is available on a three-tier basis (Green, Silver, and Gold) and offers perks like complimentary seat reservation, priority access to discounted fares and mileage bonus accrual. Visit the airlines site for more details.
Check in is only available at the departure airport. No self-service options are provided, so travelers must check in at the airline's designated counters, which close one hour prior to departure.
- Checked baggage for flights to and from North America is charged per piece. Economy Class ticket holders can check two bags of up to 23 kg each (50 lb) and total linear dimensions should not exceed 158cm. In all other flights (including domestic flights within Bangladesh), the checked baggage allowance is calculated according to the item's weight. Maximum allowances range from 20 to 50 kg in Economy (depending on origin and destination points) and from 30 kg to 60 kg in Business Class.
- Infants are allowed one piece of checked baggage with a maximum weight of 10 kg.
- The cabin baggage policy allows one carry-on piece per ticketed passenger, with a maximum weight of 7 kg (10 lb) for Economy Class travelers and 10 kg (22 lb) for Business Class passengers. Maximum item dimensions are 56 x 36 x 23 cm (L x W x H). Travelers should note that garment bags and briefcases count as individual carry-on pieces.
- For more details on the airline's baggage policy, restricted and special items and other related topics, visit Biman Bangladesh Airlines' Baggage Page.