Book Cheap Flights In Southern Africa
LAM Mozambique Airlines has been around for more than 80 years and is the flag carrier of Mozambique in Southern Africa. It was established in 1936 as a charter carrier called Direcção de Exploração de Transportes Aéreos, or DETA for short. DETA was a division of the Ports and Railway Services of the then Portuguese colonial government and it was not until 1980, after the country had gained its independence from Portugal, that the airline was renamed Linhas Aéreas de Moçambique, or LAM.
Since its humble beginnings, the airline has seen steady growth, continuously adding new routes and larger aircraft to its fleet. Today LAM Mozambique is based in Maputo, the capital of Mozambique, and operates regular flights within Southern Africa, including 10 domestic routes and international flights to Johannesburg, Harare, Dar Es Salaam, Luanda and Nairobi. It is a member of the African Airlines Association as well as the International Air Transport Association. The airline currently employs around 695 workers and operates a fleet of Boeing, Embraer and Bombardier aircraft.
Flying With LAM Mozambique
One of the airline's top priorities is the ensure that their passengers enjoy safe and comfortable travel when flying with LAM. Both the Business Class and Economy Class passengers can enjoy wide and spacious seats with generous legroom. On selected flights, passengers can also enjoy the Executive Class seats, which can be individually adjusted with touch control.
Business Class perks include priority check-in and boarding, Business Class passengers are permitted to disembark first and their baggage is also prioritised. While waiting for boarding, Business Class passengers can also enjoy the Flamingo Lounge, where they will be provided with free WiFi, snacks, drinks and a variety of international magazines and newspapers. Economy Class passengers who have a Visa Gold Card or a Flamingo Plus Card can also enjoy the Flamingo Lounge while waiting for their flights.
In terms of in-flight services, meals and drinks are provided in both classes and passengers with special dietary requirements can make the necessary arrangements when booking their ticket.
- Check-in for domestic flights closes 60 minutes prior to scheduled departure.
- Check-in for international flights closes 120 - 180 minutes prior to scheduled departure.
- Passengers can check-in online up to 36 hours before scheduled departure. Passengers who have checked-in online and have no luggage can proceed straight to the boarding gate. Those with luggage can proceed to the drop-off counters marked 'Online Check-in'.
- The free baggage allowance for passengers is one piece of checked luggage weighing 20 kg for Economy Class and 30 kg for Business Class. Should the checked luggage exceed these limits, the airline will charge a fee for excess baggage. This will be calculated individually according to the route and the luggage in question.
- Passengers will also be allowed one piece of hand luggage. LAM Mozambique makes provision for passengers with special needs, including disabled passengers and those with reduced mobility, deaf or blind passengers and passengers travelling with small children or babies.